Why do federal, state, and private entities think it is important to protect the privacy and security of personal health records (PHRs)? Include at least one legal action in your response.
Details on the Final Paper for HIMT 1200
The student will build and illustrate through a power point presentation a legal action that has affected healthcare. A four page paper will accompany the power point. The grading rubric for this project will be provided. The paper should be in APA format. The OTC Librarians are able to help you with APA, if you are not familiar with it. You’ll need a Bibliography and title page, which are not part of the four pages. You have access to free online tutoring through smarthinking.com. Use your OTC student email address to sign up. The Link is on the OTC website under Current Students.
The Bioethical topic may not be used, if already chosen. It will be first come first serve so give me a primary topic choice and a secondary.
Be sure to incorporate at least one law that has influenced your chosen topic.
Email the topic to your instructor when you have chosen your topic from the list below. If you have another topic you’d like to research, please discuss with the instructor for approval. Turn in a rough outline of your paper before submission after you have
chosen your topic
Title Page is to include the topic, your name, course, instructor and date submitted.
Choose from the following and notify your instructor via email of your topic choice by number.
1. Locate detailed information about Darling v Charleston Community Memorial Hospital and explain the significance of the Darling case to a health care organization. (Ch. 4 & 12).
2. Why should HIM professionals be aware of laws affecting the management of personnel? The Equal Employment opportunity (EEOC) website, introduced in the text, describes a number of discriminatory practices that are prohibited by a variety of laws. Which of these do you think creates the greatest liability concerns for a healthcare manager? Consider your response, in particular, to the demographics of the area in which you live. (Ch. 14)
3. The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 provides that disabled employees must be able to perform the necessary functions of a job with “reasonable accommodations.” Create a scenario where a disabled employee has requested an accommodation that is reasonable. Create a scenario where a disabled employee has requested an accommodation that is not reasonable. Defend your decision in each case. (Ch. 15)
4. What healthcare issues promoted President Bush to hire a National Coordinator for Health Information Technology and form the Office of the National Coordinator (ONC)? Describe at least one law that is involved and how this initiative has affected healthcare.
5. Why do federal, state and private entities think it is important to protect the privacy and security of personal health records (PHRs)? Include at least one legal action in your response.
6. Of the seven steps for an effective compliance program, outlined in the 2007 Federal Sentencing Guidelines, which step(s) do you think is/are the most important? Be sure to include discussion of a legal action in your paper.(Ch. 14 & 15)
7. Review the following website regarding whistleblower laws. Whstleblower laws. What protections are offered for those who report fraudulent practices? Be sure to include discussion of the relevant whistleblower law(s) in your paper and power point presentation. (Ch. 14)
8. Review the Quality Improvement (QIO) website for Georgia and access actual quality tools available online. Compare and contrast the various tools utilized by the QIO. The websites for each state are listed at Medqic. Discuss the law(s) that are involved in the development of QIOs (Ch. 12)
9. Discuss the content of most state laws regarding the reporting of abuse and neglect of children. Why is it important to provide protection from civil or criminal liability for reporting abuse and neglect? Include at least one law involved in Georgia. (Ch. 14)
10. What exception does required reporting fall under in the HIPAA Privacy regulations? Discuss an aspect of HIPAA laws and how they affect healthcare. (Ch. 11)
11.What protection does HIPAA provide regarding access and disclosure of health information? (Ch. 1, 9, 10, 15)
14. Is patient authorization needed when a facility reports information required by state or federal law? Is the information received by the state a public record in most cases? What law(s) are involved? (Ch. 10)
15. When are minors allowed to authorize access and/or disclosure of their own health information? What laws are involved? (Ch. 7 & 9)
16. How is sensitive information related to behavioral health, substance abuse, genetic and HIV/AIDS protected from unauthorized access and disclosure? Site HIPAA and other laws involved. (Ch. 7 & 9)
17. Investigate health record copying charges for GA by accessing state code and/or laws at the state legislative site or by visiting the website that follows. Review the charges for surrounding states and discuss whether the charges differ by state. Available on-line from Medical Record Coping charges. Include any law(s) related in your discussion. (Ch. 10)
18. Find and review the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration 2004 assessment of “The confidentiality of alcohol and drug abuse patient record regulation and the HIPAA privacy rule: Implications for alcohol and substance abuse programs.” Available online from HIPAA Privacy Law regarding Alcohol and Drug abuse patients Include any law(s) involved in your discussion. (Ch. 6 & 11)
19. Review the updated information from the National Council of State Legislatures regarding state genetic privacy laws. Identify if GA has such a law. Available online at National Council of State Legislatures Discuss other states with laws in comparison with Georgia’s law or lack of a law. (Ch. 11)
20. Find and report on Georgia’s public record laws found at the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, Open Records Guide Access to Public Records and Meetings in the 50 States and D.C. website at http://www.rcfp.org/ogg/index.php. Do public record laws include provisions for patient information? Include discussion of the law in your paper and power point. (Ch. 10)
21. Find and report on the key components of the recently passed Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (H.R. 493) (passed since book was published).(Ch. 7 & 11)
22. Search the AHIMA website (www.ahima.org) for articles that have been written in the past two years on HIPAA security issues. Retrieve two or three articles, and then summarize the important concepts. Identify information from the articles that may not be addressed in this chapter of the textbook. Be sure to add some information about an aspect of HIPAA law.
23. Go to the website of the Office of Civil Rights for the Department of Health and Human Services on Compliance and Enforcement. Have the students look up enforcement results by their home state. Website can be found here: DHHS Office of Civil Rights What percent of corrective action was necessary for the state in the time period reported? Also, compare GA to at least five others. Do the per cents differ? Why might they differ? Review the remaining links on the page to get an understanding of what the page offers the reader. Review the case examples under “Safeguards”. What security issues were at question in these cases? What law(s) are involved?
24. Using the textbook, create a HIPAA privacy rule trivia quiz. The quiz can be put on power point. Provide the answers at the end of the power point. This project can serve to solidify certain HIPAA privacy rule concepts in your classmates’ minds, such as the differences among the Notice of Privacy Practices, consent, and authorization; the various “public interest and benefit” exceptions to the authorization requirement; and the identifiers that contribute toward making information PHI. How has HIPAA changed healthcare?
25. Go to the website (AHIMA). Under “Members Only,” join or visit the HIPAA Communities of Practice. Select one discussion thread and summarize new information you’ve learned pertaining to a HIPAA issue. Feel free to join a HIPAA CoP discussion! Discuss an aspect of the HIPAA law that pertains to your paper/power point. (Ch. 10)
26. Search the AHIMA website (AHIMA) for articles that have been written in the past two years on HIPAA privacy implementation. After retrieving four or five articles, summarize the important concepts. Identify information that you discovered from this search that is not addressed in this chapter of the textbook. (Ch. 10)
27. Locate the Patient Self-Determination Act or Uniform Anatomical Gift Act online and locate specific sections of these laws. Discuss how these laws have affected healthcare practice today. Build a power point presentation from your four page paper. (Ch. 6, 7, & 9)
28. Under what circumstances the physician-patient privilege may be waived? Describe the law(s) involved in protecting physician-patient privilege in your paper and include on your Power Point presentation. (Ch. 3 & 9)