The macroeconomic consequences of oil price fluctuations in any of the GCC countries.
The research project requires students to team up in groups of 5 members and develop a research project on a topic related to local or international macroeconomic issues.
The project must contain the following parts:
- Title page: this page should include the project title and students’ names and IDs.
- Example: The Impact of Oil Prices on Economic Growth in Qatar
- Introduction: in this part, the group should explain the importance of the chosen topic and summarize the contents of the project.
- Theory: This part must contain a theoretical analysis of the topic using the economic theories/tools/models developed in ECON 112.
- Example: You may choose to use the AD-AS model to show the impact of oil price shocks on economic growth in the short run and long run.
- Application: in this part, you have to introduce a case study that is linked to the economic theory/model you used in the previous part.
- Example, you should discuss how oil price fluctuations affect GDP growth in specific oil exporting (or oil importing) country(s). This can be done using specialized articles written by economists about the topic of interest, collecting and analyzing basic data on oil prices in the last 15 to 20 years, and link this data to the main macroeconomic indicators of a given country(s) such as economic growth, inflation, and unemployment.
- Conclusion: in this part, you should summarize the main findings of the project and convince the reader that you have tackled the topic in a scientific manner.
- References: all references should be listed.
First, each group must send an email with their chosen topic by October 25, 2020. I might get back to you and ask to change the topic if another group has already chosen the same exact topic. Here are some suggested topics:
- The macroeconomic consequences of oil price fluctuations in any of the GCC countries
- The consequences of the 2008 financial crisis on major macroeconomic variables in developed or developing countries.
- The macroeconomic consequences of budget deficit on major macroeconomic variables in developed or developing countries.
- Central banks and monetary policies in developed or developing countries.
- Does a tax reduction stimulate the economy (in specific country)
- Does an increase in money supply stimulate the economy
- Money supply and inflation
- Economies of the GCC (you should choose a specific economic problem to study).
- Currency value and the macroeconomic performance
- Chinese monetary policy: maintaining a cheap Yuan
- The recent Turkish currency crisis
- The new US trade policy towards China
- The relationship between inflation and unemployment in specific country(s).
- Diversification in Qatar’s economy: oil and non-oil production contribution to GDP
- The labor market in Qatar: Qataris and Non-Qataris and the youth in the labor force
- You need to submit your project on November 22, 2020
- Make sure that data is available before starting your project.
- The research project should be applied to a specific country or group of countries.
- The project should be between 8 and 10 pages long (NOT INCLUDING THE TITLE PAGE AND THE REFERENCES).
- Font size 12, 1.5 space, Times New Roman.
- You have to submit a soft copy.
- You have to use clear language and your sentences should be meaningful.
- Never plagiarize.
- Each group should contain 5 students.