Order Now

Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.

Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.


Description: For this mock forensic report, you will read the de-identified background information from an actual criminal responsibility report that I have written for the criminal justice system below. Based on the information provided and your knowledge from the course, you will then take the role of the forensic psychologist completing the evaluation. You will write the diagnostic impressions and answer the referral question for the forensic evaluation. For the diagnostic impressions section, you will be diagnosing the client based on the information provided. You will need to use the DSM-5 for diagnosing the client. Please consider both psychiatric diagnoses and substance use diagnoses for the client. Directions on accessing the DSM-5 are provided below. For this forensic evaluation, the referral question pertains to the client’s criminal responsibility. So for the clinical impressions section, you will use the knowledge learned about the components of criminal responsibility to determine if the client is or is not criminally responsible in their legal case. After you determine if they are criminally responsible or not criminally responsible, support your claims using examples from the remainder of the report.


The mock forensic report must be written using Times New Roman 12-point font and 1-inch margins. No citations are necessary, but all claims must be supported with examples from the remainder of the report. The Mock CR Report is due on Sunday, October 25th at 11:59 p.m. There will be a TurnItIn portal available in the Assignments folder on Blackboard. Please review the plagiarism policy before submitting the assignment. Plagiarism will not be tolerated under any circumstances. This assignment will be worth 10% of your final grade. Please review the accompanying rubric to ensure you meet all of the required criteria for the assignment.

Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.

How to Access the DSM-5:


  1. Visit jjay.cuny.edu
  2. Select “Databases”
  3. Select “See all databases” at the bottom of the scroll window
  4. Select “DSM-5” (journals are listed in alphabetical order)
  5. Log in with John Jay information
  6. Select “Section II: Diagnostic Criteria and Codes”
  7. Review the diagnostic criteria for the potential mental illnesses you believe the client may have and evaluate the appropriateness of each diagnosis for the client based on their background information. As you write the diagnostic impressions section, after stating each diagnosis that the client has, describe what symptoms they have from each disorder using examples to support your claims. Ultimately, you should write one paragraph per diagnosis justifying why they meet the diagnostic criteria for that diagnosis. Please include substance use disorders, too.


Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.






DATE OF BIRTH: December 14, 1993 (date changed)    

AGE: 25         

DATES OF EVALUATION: May 20, 2019; June 12, 19, 24 and 25, 2019; July 1 and 10, 2019 (dates changed)

DATE OF REPORT: July 24, 2019 (date changed)



Mr. Jones is a 25-year-old, White male who was admitted to a federal pretrial detention center in May 2019.  Mr. Jones was admitted to the custody of the Attorney General for a psychological assessment to determine the defendant’s criminal responsibility, pursuant to Title 18, U.S.C., Section 4242.  Mr. Jones has been charged with Kidnapping, Interstate Domestic Violence, and Possession of a Firearm in Furtherance of a Crime of Violence.



Prior to the interviews and psychological testing, Mr. Jones was informed that the Court appointed a psychologist to perform an evaluation.  Mr. Jones was informed of the purpose of the evaluation, which was to assist the Court with determining his criminal responsibility.  Mr. Jones was informed neither the interviews nor the results of psychological testing were confidential, and any information he provided could be reported to the Court in either written format or oral testimony.  Mr. Jones was informed he could consult his attorney prior to, or at any time during the evaluation.  When asked to rephrase the above warning in his own words, Mr. Jones stated, “This is to look at my criminal responsibility.”  He understood “it is not a closed door session.  You will put everything in a report and give it to all the legal parties.”  Additionally, Mr. Jones acknowledged, “If I need to talk to my lawyer, you will make it happen.”  It was the impression of the evaluator, Mr. Jones had a reasonable understanding and appreciation of the above warning.  The interviews and psychological testing proceeded on that basis.



Mr. Jones was interviewed on several occasions for a total of approximately 15 hours.  Psychological testing included administration of the Validity Indicator Profile (VIP), the Shipley-2, and the Personality Assessment Inventory (PAI). In addition to the interviews and psychological testing with Mr. Jones, collateral phone interviews were conducted with Mr. Jones’ defense counsel and the Assistant United States Attorney.  Several collateral documents were also reviewed.



Mr. Jones’ social history was gathered from his self-report, a review of the above-listed documents, and the collateral phone interviews.  Mr. Jones appeared to be a reliable historian and was mainly cooperative throughout the interview process.  He appeared to present his social history in a forthright and genuine manner throughout the interviews.


Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.


Developmental History:

Mr. Jones is a 25-year-old, divorced, White male born in Ohio.  He reported when he was five years old, he moved with his family to Kentucky.  Mr. Jones was raised by his biological mother and stepfather.  He stated his mother works at a grocery store and his stepfather works in the assembly department of a car company.  His parents recently divorced in May 2019.  Mr. Jones reported he never lived with his biological father and they continue to have limited contact.  Mr. Jones described he always had a good relationship with his mother.  He stated his relationship with his stepfather “was rocky while growing up, but is better now.”  He continues to maintain contact with his mother and stepfather.


Mr. Jones reported he has five siblings.  He stated his biological father has a son, age 20, and a daughter, age 19.  Mr. Jones recalled he met his paternal half siblings when he was 18 years old.  He stated he maintains contact with his sister.  His remaining three siblings, age 19, age 17; and age 17, are from his mother and stepfather.  Mr. Jones indicated he grew up with these remaining three siblings.  He reported he was close to his maternal half siblings while growing up and continues to speak with them.


Mr. Jones described a good childhood.  In regards to discipline, he stated his stepfather was “overbearing with authority.”  He described when he would misbehave, his stepfather would yell and use spanking.  Mr. Jones denied the discipline ever left any bruising.  He denied any history of physical abuse.  In regards to sexual abuse, Mr. Jones reported he was abused one time.  He described, when he was six years old, he spent the night at a classmate’s house and his classmate’s father abused him.  Mr. Jones indicated he remembers being touched but could not describe any additional details.  He stated he never went to the friend’s house again.  According to Mr. Jones, he told his mother when he was 19 years old and recalled she “thought she was a failure.”  Mr. Jones denied ever receiving any treatment for the abuse.  Mr. Jones denied any familial mental health history.  He acknowledged his stepfather was an alcoholic but denied additional substance use in his family.


According to a pretrial report, Mr. Jones was born Christopher Smith, and adopted by his stepfather at the age of five.


Educational History:

Mr. Jones reported he graduated high school in 2012.  He described he was “horrible” at school because “I slept a lot.”  He explained he was a “gamer” and was “focused on other things and not school.”  He indicated he graduated with a grade point average of 2.4.  He recalled attending summer school two times; once for humanities and could not recall the reason for the second time.  He denied ever having to repeat a grade.  He indicated he was enrolled in speech as a young child but denied ever attending special education classes.


In regards to his behavior, Mr. Jones related, “I was engrossed in my environment.”  He indicated, “I was at school because I had to be.”  He denied any major behavioral problems.  He recalled one three-day in-school suspension due to a “prelude to a fight.”  He recalled being the victim of bullying because “I was so introverted.”  He described, “I was labeled weird because I had no fashion sense.”


Mr. Jones related he obtained college credits while in the Air Force.  He indicated he received college credits for the Air Force training he attended.


Military History:

Mr. Jones reported he was enlisted in the Air Force from December 2012 through June 2017.  He stated he originally wanted to join the Marine Corps, as his grandfather served in the Marines, but his friend’s father told him the Air Force was better, so he decided to join the Air Force.  Mr. Jones recalled attending basic training in San Antonio, Texas for two months.  He stated he then went to Wichita Falls, Texas, where he attended technology school for an additional two months.   Mr. Jones related he was then stationed at Goldsboro, North Carolina, as a Fuel System Mechanic, working on F-15 airplanes.


According to Mr. Jones, he worked for ten months because “I got into trouble.”  Mr. Jones explained he was married in March 2013 and by the end of the year, he and his wife were “experiencing problems.”  He described, “because of her infidelity, I had charges brought up against me.”  Mr. Jones reported he was accused of physical abuse, communicating a threat, and breaking a no contact order.  He stated the charges stemmed from December 2013 through January 2014.  Mr. Jones recalled he was placed in a county jail for 11 months, while on pretrial.  He went to trial in 2014 and was convicted.  He was incarcerated for two years in Charleston, South Carolina.  Mr. Jones explained, in September 2016, his case was overturned on appeal.  He explained, during the investigation, he asked for an attorney and then was questioned.  He stated the appeal was won on the basis of infringement of his rights.  He explained his case was Dismissed with Prejudice.


Mr. Jones related he was released from incarceration in January 2017 and returned to Goldsboro, North Carolina.  He stated he was given the job of clean-up duty while it was determined if he was going to be retried.  He indicated, in May 2017, it was determined it would not be in the Air Force’s best interest to retry him.  Mr. Jones recalled he was discharged from the Air Force with a General Discharge, the rank of E-3, and provided no Veteran Benefits.


Employment History:

With regard to employment, Mr. Jones indicated he obtained his first job when he was 16 years old.  He stated he worked at a fast food restaurant for a few months before he “just didn’t go in.”  He stated, when he was 17 years old, he started working at a new restaurant.  He again worked a few months and then was fired after he stopped going to work.  Mr. Jones recalled he began working at a third restaurant when he was 18 years old, after he graduated high school, for a few months before he left for the Air Force.


After he was discharged from the military, when he was 23 years old, Mr. Jones obtained employment in the sale industry.  He describing working for approximately two months and quitting because, “I was not good at sales.”  He indicated he immediately gained employment at a tile company making displays and assisting with shipping.  Mr. Jones maintained employment there for approximately ten months, until he was arrested.


Mr. Jones noted he had future plans to join the medical marijuana industry in Michigan with his friend.  He would also like to return to the tile company upon his release.


According to a pretrial report, Mr. Jones stopped working in July 2018 and was unemployed at the time of his arrest.


Marital History:

Mr. Jones reported he was married from 2013 through 2016.  According to a pretrial report, Mr. Jones was divorced in 2014.  He stated he met his ex-wife though his best friend, as it was his sister.  Mr. Jones indicated his ex-wife is one year younger than him.  Mr. Jones and his ex-wife were together for five years before they got married.  He indicated they chose to get married so they could live together while Mr. Jones was in the military.  He also indicated, “I was infatuated with her and the idea of having a family.”  Mr. Jones indicated his ex-wife has a child, currently six years old.  He reported he does not have any contact with her daughter.


According to Mr. Jones, eight months after he and his ex-wife were married, they began having problems.  He described his ex-wife would spend time in Kentucky or at other friend’s houses.  He explained she was cheating on him.  Mr. Jones explained the relationship became both physically and emotionally abusive.  He denied any sexual abuse.  He indicated both he and his ex-wife were abusive to each other.  Mr. Jones reported as a result of the abuse, charges were brought against him (See Military History).  Mr. Jones indicated he was divorced in 2016, while incarcerated.


Mr. Jones related his next relationship began in January 2018.  He reported he met Beth (name changed), age 19, on a dating website.  He stated they were together for seven months before the relationship ended.  Mr. Jones reported the relationship began as long distance.  He stated in early June 2018, Beth moved to Kentucky to continue the relationship.  He indicated he introduced Beth to his family.  According to Mr. Jones, approximately one week after she moved to Kentucky, they began arguing.  Mr. Jones reported two instances of physical abuse in the end of June 2018.  During the first instance, Mr. Jones told Beth, “You don’t know who I am.”  She replied, “So show me,” and Mr. Jones reported he put his hand on her upper arm and squeezed her.  During the second instance, Mr. Jones and Beth were arguing because she did not want to join him to visit his family or his friend.  He stated he punched the DVD player but then began physically assaulting her.  He stated, “She was hurt a lot.”  One week later, in July 2018, the relationship ended and he brought Beth back to Michigan.  He stated her perception of him had changed, and she began interacting with him differently.  He indicated, “We agreed to end the relationship because I have psych issues I need to address.”  In a later interview during the present evaluation, Mr. Jones indicated when he brought her back to Michigan, he was under the impression she was only visiting her family, but the relationship was not over.  However, after he dropped her off at her home in Michigan, he immediately noticed she blocked his profile on Facebook.  He stated he became very upset, was driving over 90 miles per hour while crying, and felt “animalistic.”  He returned home to Kentucky and began communicating with Beth again through a new Facebook profile.  He stated he communicated with her for approximately one-week using messaging, phone calls, and video calls.  This communication immediately preceded Mr. Jones’ arrest for the current charges.


In regards to his leisure time, Mr. Jones stated he enjoys playing poker, listening to music, going fishing, reading, and watching movies.  He related while incarcerated, he listens to music, reads, and writes.


Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.



Mr. Jones explained he was first arrested when he was approximately 16 years old, for possession of marijuana.  He stated as a result of the charge, he did community service.  He stated he was arrested the second time, while in the Air Force, in January 2014.  He indicated he was charged with Sexual Assault, Communicating a Threat, Assault, Assault on a Cat, and Breaking a No Contact Order.  He related he was found guilty of three Assault charges and sentenced to four years’ incarceration and a Dishonorable Discharge.  According to Mr. Jones, after serving three years, he won an appeal.  He was released and was given a General Discharge.


Mr. Jones indicated he was arrested for his current charge in July 2018.  He stated he is charged with Kidnapping, Assault, and Brandishing a Firearm.  He stated he could be facing life, 10 years, and 7 years for the charges.  He indicated he has not been offered a plea at this time.

Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.

A review of Mr. Jones’ arrest history indicated a record of two arrests. In January 2014, Mr. Jones was arrested while in the military and charged with assault, aggravated assault, sexual assault, making a threat, wrongfully killing an animal, rape, and failure to obey an order.  In March 2019, Mr. Jones was arrested for aggravated assault, possession of a weapon, and kidnapping.



Mr. Jones related he first tried marijuana when he was 14 years old.  He stated he smoked marijuana a second time when he was 16 years old.  He stated at that time he used “a few times.”  Mr. Jones indicated when he was 23 years old, he again smoked marijuana, using less than ten times.  He stated he last smoked marijuana in June 2018.  According to Mr. Jones he drinks alcohol “very rarely.”  He reported he first drank alcohol when he was 16 years old.  He stated when he drinks, he drinks one or two beers each time.  He recalled he was “drunk” one time.  Mr. Jones stated the last time he drank alcohol was when he was 23 years old.  He denied any history of substance use treatment.



Mr. Jones reported his first mental health contact occurred around the age of six or seven.  He stated his school recommended he attend mental health treatment due to anger outbursts.  He stated he attended individual therapy with a doctor in Kentucky, but was not provided any psychotropic medication.  Mr. Jones reported he did not open up to the doctor, but stated his anger outbursts were caused by his previous molestation.  Mr. Jones indicated his second mental health treatment was around the age of 15.  He reported attending family therapy with his parents after he learned his stepfather was not his biological father.  Mr. Jones indicated he attended this therapy with the doctor again.  Mr. Jones stated his family went to therapy “a handful of times,” and indicated it was not very helpful because his parents did not adhere to the therapist’s recommendations.  The therapist recommended Mr. Jones be allowed to maintain contact with his biological father, but his mother would not allow it.  Mr. Jones related he was not mad about the situation, but he did not understand why he was not allowed to have a relationship with his biological father.


Mr. Jones also reported attending mental health treatment while in the Air Force.  At the age of 19, he attended inpatient psychiatric treatment at a hospital for a period of 14 days.  He stated he was admitted because he had active suicidal ideation and the Air Force Office of Special Investigations found a suicide note he had written.  Mr. Jones indicated the suicide note was in the top closet at the front of his home.  He stated he was feeling suicidal because of the status of his legal case and “marital problems.”  Mr. Jones did not elaborate further, but noted he felt overwhelmed and was searching for an outlet for his emotional turmoil.  He reported he intended to use gasoline to light himself on fire.  After the Air Force Office of Special Investigations found the suicide note and interviewed Mr. Jones, they brought him to the county hospital for inpatient treatment.  He stated he participated in group treatment but “I only disclosed so much” because of a preference for individual treatment.  He was not prescribed psychotropic medications.  Mr. Jones stated, “I guess” when asked if he felt a relief of symptoms after the hospitalization.  He indicated he attended outpatient treatment on the Air Force base from February until December 2014 while confined.  He reported attending individual therapy, in which he discussed his legal case, marital stressors, and personal life in general.  He was also prescribed a mood stabilizing medication by a psychiatrist, and indicated he was medication adherent.  The outpatient treatment terminated in December 2014 when Mr. Jones was convicted.  While convicted, Mr. Jones attended mandated group treatment for domestic abuse.  This treatment occurred for the duration of his confinement.  In 2017, during the last three months of his confinement, he also participated in individual therapy.  Mr. Jones stated he did not want to repeat the patterns in his life and wanted to learn more about his behaviors.  He indicated this treatment was helpful.  The treatment ended when Mr. Jones was no longer confined.


Mr. Jones reported a history of suicidal ideation beginning in 2014.  He stated he attempted suicide on four occasions.  The first suicide attempt was in early 2017, in which Mr. Jones attempted to hang himself while living at home in Kentucky.  He indicated he was “feeling bad” after being released from the Air Force confinement and felt as though he was a burden to his grandparents.  He reported he hung himself with a belt in his bedroom closet, but undid the belt after almost suffocating.  He stated he did not tell any family or friends about this suicide attempt.  In June 2018, Mr. Jones attempted to hang himself in the bedroom closet again.  He stated he attempted suicide because “everything was going good but I wasn’t feeling the way I thought I should be feeling.”  Once again, Mr. Jones indicated he stopped himself from the suicide attempt.  When asked why, he reported, “I was already living for 20 years of shit, so why not try a few more months and see?”  He stated he told his girlfriend, Beth, about the suicide attempt.  The third suicide attempt occurred in July 2018.  Mr. Jones stated his relationship was “dissolving” and the suicide attempt occurred in the context of his current legal charges.  He was distressed about his relationship, noting it “dissolved in the worst way possible,” and upset about his parents’ divorce.  Mr. Jones indicated he planned on inflicting a wound to his chest, but he did not follow through with his plan.  The fourth suicide attempt occurred on December 30, 2018, which was his birthday.  He was incarcerated and attempted to slit his left wrist.  He reported he felt suicidal because he was trying to think about his future and building another relationship, and “I just wasn’t seeing it.”  A correctional officer found Mr. Jones cutting himself during rounds.  He was taken to a hospital and treated, then placed on suicide watch in the institution for five days.  Upon his return to the institution, he was prescribed duloxetine (antidepressant).


Upon his arrival at the pretrial detention center, Mr. Jones was prescribed duloxetine (antidepressant).  He indicated he stopped taking the medication in mid-June 2019 because he was getting headaches.  Mr. Jones indicated the medication “numbed me” but “psychologically, I’m still riding the shit wave.”  He stated he feels “bad” when he is not taking the medication.  Mr. Jones reported he had passive suicidal thoughts approximately six or seven times during his current stay.  Mr. Jones reported he would sometimes go to sleep when he had these thoughts.  Mr. Jones described feeling differently now “because I can identify reasons for living.”  He declared his family, nephew, and a potential future family as reasons for living.


Mr. Jones reported experiencing auditory and visual hallucinations on occasion.  He stated he heard two unrecognizable voices while lying on the left side of his top bunk bed one time.  He did not understand what the voices were saying to him, and he covered himself up in the bed to pass the hallucinations.  Mr. Jones also indicated experiencing visual hallucinations in which he believed someone passing him on the Air Force base was an actual person previously in his life.  He also thought he recognized someone from the Air Force when he was no longer in the military.  Mr. Jones also endorsed some paranoid ideation.  For example, during a conversation with one of his friends, he stated, “What would you say if I told you every decision I made is based on the Air Force trying to kill me?”  He believes the Air Force may be trying to kill him to prevent him from winning money based on his overturned conviction.  He stated part of him believes this is true, but part of him does not.  Mr. Jones also endorsed paranoid beliefs about his friend, as he stated, “[My friend] has more influence in my life than he is letting on.”


Records for a hospital stay in 2014 were reviewed.  Mr. Jones was admitted for approximately ten days in January 2014 for being a danger to himself and others.  He threatened to pour gasoline and set himself on fire and threatened to pour gasoline and set his wife on fire.  Additionally, he had become upset and threw the cat against the wall.  Records noted, “The cat’s leg was broken and was bleeding out of its nose.  He put the cat in a bag and threw it up against the wall again and killed it.”  Additionally, Mr. Jones assaulted his wife and forced her to have sex with him.  During the admission assessment, Mr. Jones endorsed increased anxiety related to marital stressors, increased depression, hopelessness, crying episodes, worthlessness, and panic attacks.  It was noted Mr. Jones had anger outbursts since kindergarten when he was sexually abused and had to see a therapist.


Mr. Jones received a history and physical.  It was noted his superiors at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base believed he was in need of psychiatric treatment.  The sergeant reported he struck his wife several times in the abdomen and shoulder causing bruising and swelling.  Additionally, he had intercourse with her and there is a question whether it was consensual.  Mr. Jones reported he was sexually abused from kindergarten through fifth grade.  He noted he received counseling as a child due to the sexual abuse and anger issues.


Throughout his stay at the hospital, Mr. Jones was provided with individual, family, and group treatment.  His was prescribed Trileptal for his mood.  At discharge, Mr. Jones was diagnosed with Intermittent Explosive Disorder.  His showed gradual improvement.  He had decreased anxiety and resolved depressive symptoms.  Mr. Jones no longer exhibited impulsivity.  He was encouraged to continue outpatient treatment.



Mr. Jones denied suffering from any major medical disorders.  He recalled two surgeries, one to have a cyst removed and one to remove his wisdom teeth.  Mr. Jones described several minor head injuries.  He stated as a child, both his mother and grandmother fell while holding him.  Additionally, he recalled he was hit in the face with a baseball.  Mr. Jones denied ever being unconscious or experiencing seizures.


Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.



Upon arrival to the pretrial detention center Mr. Jones was placed on psychological observation by medical staff due to his initial reported mental health and suicide history.  He was removed from psychological observation after one day and placed in the general population.  A few weeks later, Mr. Jones was placed on suicide watch after telling the unit officer he wanted to kill himself.  When seen by the psychologist the next day, Mr. Jones admitted he was never suicidal.  He reported he “needed to get off the unit.”  Mr. Jones stated he was having a problem with another inmate and did not know what to do.  Mr. Jones claimed another inmate approached him and “asked me to do something sexually.”  He stated he told the officer he was suicidal so he could be removed from the unit.  Mr. Jones was removed from suicide watch and placed on a different unit in general population.  For the remainder of the evaluation, Mr. Jones resided in general population.  In mid-June 2019, Mr. Jones was brought to health services, as he was vomiting and displayed an altered mental status.  He presented as violent and confused.  He was taken to an outside hospital.  The next day, Mr. Jones returned from the hospital.  When asked what happened, he initially stated that he ate “bad food” and denied drug use.  However, during an interview a week later, Mr. Jones presented with stained fingers.  After he was spoken to about the negative use of K2, Mr. Jones smiled about the “bad food” he ate.


Throughout his current stay, Mr. Jones was not a management problem and staff reported he was cooperative.  He did not receive any disciplinary actions nor was he cited in any incident reports.  He was capable of managing his personal care needs.  Unit staff indicated he was observed talking to other inmates.  He often used the monitored telephone and electronic mail system.




Response Style and Effort

Mr. Jones was administered the Validity Indicator Profile (VIP), a self-report measure of response style that serves as a validity indicator for concurrently administered cognitive and intellectual tests.  Mr. Jones’ performance and response style on the nonverbal subtest yielded valid and compliant results.  Mr. Jones made a strong effort to answer the items correctly.  He exhibited good effort throughout the test.  His demonstrated ability suggests his reasoning ability is at least average to high average or higher.  His adjusted Score estimates his reasoning ability to be at least above average.  Mr. Jones’ performance and response style on the verbal subtest yielded valid and compliant results, suggesting his score is an accurate reflection of his abilities.  Mr. Jones made a strong effort to answer the items correctly.  His demonstrated ability suggests his word knowledge is at least average to high average or higher.  His adjusted score estimates his work knowledge to be at least low average to average or higher.


Cognitive Functioning

Mr. Jones was administered the Shipley-2, a self-administered screening measure of cognitive functioning and impairment.  This assessment yields a standard score with a mean of 100, normal distribution curve, and standard deviation of 15.  Two aspects of cognitive ability are measured.  Crystallized ability is knowledge that has been gained as a result of education and experience.  Fluid cognitive ability is the ability to use logic and other skills to learn and acquire new information.  Mr. Jones obtained an overall cognitive ability score of 121, placing him in the Well Above Average Range of intellectual abilities.  Mr. Jones’ crystallized abilities were in the Above Average Range (116).  In regard to fluid cognitive abilities, Mr. Jones’ score of 118 placed him in the Well Above Average range.


Personality Functioning

Mr. Jones was administered the Personality Assessment Inventory (PAI), a self-report measure of personality characteristics, psychological adjustment, and response bias.  The PAI provides a number of validity indices designed to provide an assessment of factors that could distort the results of testing.  Such factors include failure to complete test items properly, carelessness, reading difficulties, confusion, exaggeration, malingering, or defensiveness.  For this protocol, the number of uncompleted items was within acceptable limits. The degree to which response style may have affected or distorted the reported symptomatology was also assessed.  Mr. Jones attended appropriately to item content and responded in a consistent fashion to similar items.  He may not have answered in a completely forthright manner.  His response patterns indicated a defensiveness about personal shortcomings as well as an exaggeration of certain problems.  There is no evidence to suggest he was motivated to portray himself as being free of common shortcomings.  Mr. Jones attempted to portray himself in a negative or pathological manner in particular areas.  Therefore, the clinical scale elevations may over represent or exaggerate the actual degree of psychopathology.


Mr. Jones’ profile showed a pattern of marked distress.  He presented as a person with thinking and concentration problems.  He is likely to be withdrawn and isolated.  Based on the profile, Mr. Jones sees little hope his circumstance will improve.  His profile displayed a person with hopelessness and increased risk for self-harm.  Mr. Jones reported depressive experiences, including worthlessness and personal failure.  He expressed sadness and loss of interest in activities.  Additionally, he reported unusual sensory experiences and limited social skills.  He is often uncomfortable in social situations. Furthermore, Mr. Jones reported anxiety and a maladaptive behavior pattern controlling his anxiety.  It is possible Mr. Jones experienced a traumatic event.  In regards to personality traits, Mr. Jones profile shows emotional labile and mood swings, including poorly controlled anger.  He may experience little sense of direction or purpose in life.  In regards to self-concept, Mr. Jones’ profile shows harsh self-criticism to periods of self-confidence.  Mr. Jones may be motivated for treatment as his responses suggest a need for help in dealing with his problems; however, he may have initial difficulty in placing trust in a treating professional.



Mr. Jones is a 25-year-old, divorced, White male.  He is of average height and build, with short, brown hair.  Mr. Jones arrived at the interviews unescorted, groomed, and dressed adequately in institutional attire.  Mr. Jones was mainly cooperative throughout the interview process, eagerly responding to all of the questions posed to him.  Mr. Jones presented with depressed mood and congruent affect.  He was observed becoming tearful on several occasions throughout the evaluation.  Mr. Jones showed no signs of psychomotor retardation and excitation.  He reported he was sleeping well but noted sleeping during the day frequently.  Regarding appetite, Mr. Jones indicated he is a “picky eater” but typically ate two meals daily during his current stay.


Mr. Jones endorsed passive suicidal ideation, noting these thoughts typically last for 15 minutes to a day.  He stated he would not act on these thoughts because he identified reasons for living, including his family.  Mr. Jones denied current suicidal intent or plan, and agreed to a commitment for life by agreeing to contact the Psychology Department in the event he experiences suicidal thoughts.  Mr. Jones was future oriented and did not appear to be an immediate danger to self.  Mr. Jones showed no signs of expressive or receptive speech difficulties.  His speech was logical, coherent, and relevant.  He spoke at a normal volume and rate.  His thinking appeared organized.  There was no apparent loosening of associations.  Mr. Jones reported experiencing visual and auditory hallucinations on occasion, but none were suspected during the present evaluation.  Mr. Jones denied tactile and olfactory hallucinations, and none were suspected.


Mr. Jones was fully oriented to time, place, person, and circumstance.  He exhibited no trouble with attention and concentration.  He had no trouble counting backward from 100 by increments of 3.  Additionally, he was able to spell “WORLD” backward.  His intellectual abilities are estimated to be in the average to above average range based on his educational history, interactions with the evaluator, and reported vocational history.  Mr. Jones’ insight and judgment are poor.

Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.


Given Mr. Jones’ history and current presentation, he appears to meet the criteria for the following diagnoses:


(You will write this section and diagnose the client. Support all claims with examples.)

Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.



Mr. Jones is charged with Kidnapping, Interstate Domestic Violence, and Possession of a Firearm in Furtherance of a Crime of Violence.  Regarding Mr. Jones’ mental state at the time of the offense, the following appears noteworthy.  A few weeks prior to Mr. Jones’ arrest, his relationship with his ex-girlfriend, Beth, ended.  He stated, “The relationship ended in the worst way possible,” but he and Beth both agreed he needed “psychological help.”  Mr. Jones drove Beth back to her home in Michigan sometime in mid-July 2018.  After he dropped her off, he returned to his home in Kentucky.  He was living alone in an apartment in Kentucky, but stated he tried to be around his family and friends after the relationship ended.  However, Mr. Jones indicated he isolated himself because he was suicidal and “I didn’t want anyone to take me off that path.”  He noted he felt suicidal since the end of June 2018, when he realized the relationship was not going smoothly.  After returning to Kentucky, Mr. Jones stated he “gave up” on himself, blamed himself for the relationship ending, and had a fear of never being able to have a “normal relationship.”  He stated this was so upsetting to him because having a family and children in the future is very important to him.  After he returned to Kentucky from Michigan, he stated he returned to work.  He reported sleeping on the couch because he could not sleep in the bed because Beth was missing and it reminded him of the relationship’s failure.  He remembered visiting his grandparents on two occasions during the week after returning to Kentucky.


Shortly after his return to Kentucky, he created a new Facebook profile and began communicating with Beth on Facebook again.  He stated they both thought she might be pregnant because they had unprotected sex, and he asked her if she would keep the child if she were pregnant.  Mr. Jones indicated she said she would terminate the pregnancy, and this was very distressing to him.  Mr. Jones indicated he felt guilty because it would be his fault if she were pregnant and terminated the pregnancy.  Beth again blocked his Facebook profile, and he created a third one to communicate with her.  He stated they communicated via Facebook phone and video chat using his third Facebook profile.


Around the same time as his relationship with Beth ended, Mr. Jones’ father informed his mother he wanted a divorce.  He stated he was very distressed over this and felt badly for his mother.  Mr. Jones indicated he was not sure if he would continue communication with his father after he informed her of the divorce.


According to Mr. Jones, at the time of the alleged offense, he was not taking any psychotropic medication and was not under the influence of any substances.  Mr. Jones reported he quit his job in July 2019.  He left Kentucky one day later with the intention of driving to Michigan.  He stated he and Beth were still communicating via Facebook messenger.  While driving, he called his mother from a gas station and informed her he wanted to “get help.”  He told Beth the same information.  Mr. Jones stated, while driving, he was “trying to find something to hold onto” but could not find it.  He indicated he went to a casino in Michigan approximately 30 minutes from Beth’s home and lost all of his money, which was about $300 – $400.  He reported Beth called him through video chat while he was in the casino, so he went back to his car to talk with her.  He asked her to consider restarting their relationship, and she told him she hated him and he was the worst thing that happened to her.  Mr. Jones indicated they spoke a few times via video chat while he was in the casino, and he left the casino to drive towards her house shortly thereafter.


On his way towards Beth’s house, Mr. Jones indicated he contacted his ex-wife via Snapchat and asked her how she would feel if he committed suicide.  She informed him she would feel bad for his family.  He then asked Beth the same question, and she provided him with the same answer.  Mr. Jones stated he knew if he went to Kentucky and committed suicide, Beth would feel guilty.  He drove to her home and parked his car at the end of the road.  Mr. Jones indicated it was approximately 3:00 a.m. two days prior to his arrest.  He reported he had written a suicide note and a note with instructions for Beth to “grab a few days of clothing,” and both notes were in his car.  (He explained he had written the notes before he left Kentucky).  He exited his car wearing a mask and she was calling him.  Mr. Jones indicated he moved to the back of her house because he heard her voice.  He noted she saw him and looked scared.  She asked who it was, and he took his mask off and threw it on the ground in the yard.  He told her to walk with him away from her house, and stated he threatened to hurt her family if she did not comply with his request.  Mr. Jones reported he told her he was not planning to hurt her, but she was still trying to “get away.”  He indicated Beth punched him in the eye and mouth, but she never screamed for help.  He told her he wanted to talk to her and they walked toward the side of her house.  He informed Beth he went to her house to kill himself as they were walking down the road.  At that time, Mr. Jones indicated he saw headlights approaching them, and the car passed them but stopped at his parked car.  Once Mr. Jones realized the car was a police vehicle, he told her he would shoot himself if the police came closer.  He indicated Beth stated, “Do what you have to do,” and he realized he was scared to die.

Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.

After this happened, Beth and Mr. Jones walked back toward her house.  He asked if there was a car at her house that had keys in it, and they reportedly entered the vehicle together.  Mr. Jones reported he did not threaten her to get into the vehicle at that time.  He started driving towards his own car and saw a police vehicle.  He reported he crossed the train tracks and pointed out the police vehicle to Beth.  He stated they were about two miles away from Beth’s house when she jerked the steering wheel.  He asked her why she jerked the steering wheel, and the police vehicle pulled them over.  Mr. Jones reported he pulled the vehicle over and said, “I think I’m gonna turn myself in.”  He exited the vehicle and ignored the officer’s commands.  He reported he decided to move towards the officer in an attempt to complete a suicide by cop.  Mr. Jones noted the officer kept giving commands, and he finally complied and got on the ground.  Beth then exited the vehicle and stated Mr. Jones kidnapped her.  Mr. Jones stated he felt annoyed and asked the officer to put him in the police vehicle.


During the arrest, Mr. Jones noted he felt vulnerable and ashamed of his life.  He stated his motive in the situation was to commit suicide.  Mr. Jones clarified he wanted to bring Beth back to Kentucky and hang himself in his bedroom closet with her present.  He stated he would not have gone to Michigan or taken Beth if he was not feeling suicidal.  Mr. Jones reported he felt disconnected and was not thinking about the consequences of his actions because he planned on being dead.  He stated he knows what the consequences are, which include up to life imprisonment.  Regarding the alleged crimes committed, Mr. Jones stated he was only thinking about committing suicide, and committing crimes was not a thought of his.  He stated it was a means to an end.


A review of the officer’s report indicated a deputy observed a car begin to swerve erratically on the shoulder and initiated a traffic stop.  Upon stopping the vehicle, the male driver immediately exited the vehicle and began approaching.  When ordered to stop, he disregarded the commands.  After the deputy drew his duty pistol and ordered Mr. Jones to stop, he complied and laid prone on the ground.  A female passenger exited the vehicle screaming for help and stating the driver kidnapped her at gunpoint.  The passenger, Beth, stated Christopher Jones came to her residence wearing a mask and brandishing a pistol.  He threatened to kill her family if she did not do what he said.  Mr. Jones stole a vehicle belonging to her grandmother.  Once Mr. Jones had control of Beth, he discarded the mask and pistol.


Upon interview with Ms. Beth Jackson (name changed), she stated she had been living with Mr. Jones in Kentucky.  Mr. Jones assaulted her and broke her nose and orbital socket.  She tricked him into returning to Michigan.  Mr. Jones called and she did not realize he was in the area on video chat.  He snuck up on her with a mask and gun.  Ms. Jackson reported he grabbed her by the throat and threated to kill her family if she did not do what he asked.  After they left in the vehicle, Mr. Jones threw the gun out of the window.  Ms. Jackson reported when she saw the officer on the shoulder of the road, she grabbed the steering wheel in an effort to get noticed.  She reported Mr. Jones was planning to take her back to Kentucky to kill himself.  She related he said he did not want to kill himself in Michigan.


Upon interview with Mr. Jones, he indicated he was trying to push himself to the point he would die.  He stated that was the reason he advanced at the deputy when the stop was initiated.  Mr. Jones stated his chronic depression was the cause for the way he was feeling.  He stated he wanted to push himself and did not want to just hang himself back at home.  He stated he needed the stress and some people are just a lost cause and are a drain on others.  After making these statements, Mr. Jones related he wanted to retain counsel.


During another interview with Ms. Beth Jackson, she described the events leading up the kidnapping.  She indicated since coming back from Kentucky, Mr. Jones created several fake Facebook accounts to attempt to contact her.  Ms. Jackson stated she accepted one of his accounts and told him she did not want to talk.  She believed he was still in Kentucky.  Mr. Jones stated he wanted to say a proper goodbye.  Mr. Jones told her to go outside so the connection did not cut out.  After she went outside, Mr. Jones appeared on her left.  She indicated he was wearing a mask and had a gun.  When she asked who it was, he took off the mask and stated, ‘It’s Christopher.” Ms. Jackson stated she tried to get away but could not.  Prior to being pulled over, Mr. Jones stated to Ms. Jackson, “I don’t know if I should kill myself or give myself in.”  He then stated he was going to give himself up.



Regarding the issue of Criminal Responsibility, it is the opinion of this evaluator…


(You will answer the referral question here. Support all claims with examples.)

Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.


Mock CR Report Grading Rubric


Section Points Awarded Total Points Worth
Psychiatric Diagnoses: Does the Diagnostic Impressions section provide relevant diagnoses for the client? Are both psychiatric and substance use diagnoses considered? 15
Diagnostic Examples: Is each psychiatric and/or substance use diagnosis supported with examples from the remainder of the report? 30
Clinical Impressions: Does the Clinical Impressions section provide an answer to the referral question, clearly stating whether or not the client is criminally responsible? 15
CR Examples: Is the finding of criminally responsible or not criminally responsible clearly supported with evidence from the remainder of the report? Are all aspects of criminal responsibility considered? 30
Use of DSM-5: Is the DSM-5 used appropriately throughout the report to diagnose the client? 5
Level of Writing: Is the writing clear and relevant? Does it flow logically? Are there grammatical and/or spelling errors? Is the writing at a polished and professional level? 5




Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.

Comments to Student: _____________________________________________________________










Mock Criminal Responsibility (CR) Report.





Order Now

Calculate Your Order Price

Price (USD)