How does personal life become influenced by external factors such as social media?
The purpose of the discussion post is to apply what you learned to real-life examples and scenarios. Watch documentary on Netflix and learn about some of the influences of technology (a social institution) on our personal and social lives. Given the continued and rapid increase of technology use in sport, it is important for us to critically examine the influences of technology on our daily lives.
This activity will help us understand how even our deeply personal experiences are always tied to larger patterns of interaction in the social world, which is the goal of sociology! Sociology helps us see that there is always more to the story than what meets the eye.
Knowledge and Skills
The discussion post assignment is designed to help you practice the following knowledge and skills that are essential to your success in this course and life in, and beyond, school.
· Apply sport sociology theories and research to analyze how sport and physical activity can promote, and hinder, personal and community health and wellbeing
· Examine the role of sport and physical activity in (re)producing as well as combatting social inequities such as racism, sexism, and ableism
Unlike the discussion posts we’ve done so far in this class, this discussion post requires you to follow a series of steps before posting to the discussion post. Please follow these steps in order:
1. Watch the documentary, The Social Dilemma, on Netflix (if you do NOT have access to a Netflix account, please send me a Canvas message ASAP!). Take notes on things that stand out to you as you watch the documentary.
2. Once you’ve finished watching the documentary, reflect on how the documentary relates to your own life, the discipline of sociology, and even how it relates to sport. How has your life been influenced by social media, which is a powerful social institution that also intersects with other social institutions of family, economy, politics, education, religion, and even sport?
3. Once you have completed steps 1 and 2, you will write what you learned from reflecting on the documentary and your personal social media story by answering the following questions. Please type your responses directly into the textbox (approximately 300 words).
o What are 3 specific things you learned from watching the documentary? Why was it important that you learned these 3 things?
o Describe your relationship with social media. How does your personal life influence (/become influenced by) external factors such as social media? Why is it important you reflect on how external factors such as social media (or family or sport) influence our personal and social lives?